SEO stands for “search engine optimization.” All major search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo show a list of search results, where web pages and other content are shown and ranked based on what the search engine considers most relevant to users. In short, having good SEO shows your business name at the top of the list on a Google search.
- Know where you stand. Go to Google.com and search for your industry and your location (example: Pharmacy Moore Oklahoma). Where do you rank on the list? If you are nowhere to be found, or you had to do some scrolling, you may need to start with making sure your website is search engine optimized. Most people do not look past the first or second page of search results.
- Get on the map. Create a Google+ page and get a dot on the map if you haven’t already! Google+ is a social media platform, but it’s rarely used as such. Its most important feature is to place your physical location on the Google Map so people can locate you.
- Keywords are the key. Think about keywords as search terms. What sentence would a person type to try to find information about your business? Keywords on the website itself are a must, but labeling your images is equally as important. The search engine crawls your website for keywords not only search text but images as well. Title your images as descriptively as possible.
- Keep your content fresh. Updating your website content regularly will inevitably increase traffic. The best way to ensure your site receives new content on a regular basis is to implement a BLOG! It is a great way to reach out to your clients, educate your audience, create more opportunities to connect, and gives your website a personal feel.
- Become a social butterfly. You can use social media to inform, learn, and connect with those around you. However, you can also use social media to distribute your blog link with all your new, fresh, updated content. You may post your blog on Facebook, someone may share it, then gets copied over to Twitter and is recommended then retweeted! The possibilities are endless with social media and your reach is limitless. Your ultimate goal is to gain as much quality traffic to your website as possible.
- As of April 2015 Google says your website needs to be mobile friendly. Which is true, its 2015 and if your website isn’t mobile friendly you are 100% behind the curve. Not only will a mobile friendly website make Google happy it will also be more convenient for your customer.
There’s no true shortcut to rise to the top of a search engine ranking. There will always be competitors nipping at your heels trying to pass you. With a strong strategy and powerful SEO, you can compete with the best of them. If you have questions about how to get started, just let us know! That’s why we’re here.